LEGISLATURE. LEGISLATION AND PROCEEDINGS. INITIATIVE CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT AND STATUTE.
OFFICIAL TITLE AND SUMMARY
PREPARED BY THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
- Prohibits Legislature from passing any bill unless it has been in print and published on the Internet for at least 72 hours before the vote, except in cases of public emergency.
- Requires the Legislature to make audiovisual recordings of all its proceedings, except closed session proceedings, and post them on the Internet.
- Authorizes any person to record legislative proceedings by audio or video means, except closed session proceedings.
- Allows recordings of legislative proceedings to be used for any legitimate purpose, without payment of any fee to the State.
SUMMARY OF LEGISLATIVE ANALYST'S ESTIMATE OF NET STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT FISCAL IMPACT:
- One‐time costs of $1 million to $2 million and ongoing costs of about $1 million annually to record legislative meetings and make videos of those meetings available on the Internet.
Back to the Top