ENGLISH PROFICIENCY. MULTILINGUAL EDUCATION. INITIATIVE STATUTE.
OFFICIAL TITLE AND SUMMARY
PREPARED BY THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
- Preserves requirement that public schools ensure students become proficient in English.
- Requires school districts to solicit parent and community input in developing language acquisition programs to ensure English acquisition as rapidly and effectively as possible.
- Requires that school districts provide students with limited English proficiency the option to be taught English nearly all in English.
- Authorizes school districts to establish dual‐language immersion programs for both native and non‐native English speakers.
- Allows parents/legal guardians of students to select an available language acquisition program that best suits their child.
SUMMARY OF LEGISLATIVE ANALYST'S ESTIMATE OF NET STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT FISCAL IMPACT:
- No notable fiscal effect on school districts or state government.
FINAL VOTES CAST BY THE LEGISLATURE ON SB 1174 (PROPOSITION 58)
(CHAPTER 753, STATUTES OF 2014)
Back to the Top