OFFICIAL TITLE AND SUMMARY
PREPARED BY THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
POLITICAL CONTRIBUTIONS BY PAYROLL DEDUCTION. CONTRIBUTIONS TO CANDIDATES. INITIATIVE STATUTE.
- Prohibits unions from using payroll-deducted funds for political purposes. Applies same use prohibition to payroll deductions, if any, by corporations or government contractors.
- Permits voluntary employee contributions to employer-sponsored committee or union if authorized yearly, in writing.
- Prohibits unions and corporations from contributing directly or indirectly to candidates and candidate-controlled committees.
- Other political expenditures remain unrestricted, including corporate expenditures from available resources not limited by payroll deduction prohibition.
- Prohibits government contractor contributions to elected officers or officer-controlled committees.
Summary of Legislative Analyst’s Estimate of Net State and Local Government Fiscal Impact:
- Increased costs to state and local government—potentially exceeding $1 million annually—to implement and enforce the measure’s requirements.